Sunday, 14 August 2016

Sewaholic Belcarra Blouse review


I had seen this top on a few blogs and I immediately thought it might be a good pattern to teach at a beginners dressmaking class along with some other tops because of the raglan sleeve, which is much easier to sew than the more commonly used set in sleeve (like on a traditional shirt).  

I must say the fabric I used was not ideal, I purchased it online it is Robert Kaufman Essex Linen, a 50% cotton 50% linen blend, I'd not seen it before it was ordered to make another top but it's a lot thicker and stiffer than I had expected.  In addition I ordered white this is cream to me but the online shop confirm it's called white by Robert Kaufman most confusing. 




So what did I think over the pattern ? 

Very well designed, instructions are excellent, I didn't make any adjustments. I cut a size 10 in Sewaholic sizes which are US so I think that would be roughly a 14 in UK sizes.

The great thing about this pattern for a beginner there's no darts to get in the right place and the sleeve is much easier than a set in sleeve. 

The neck line is finished by using bias binding as a facing, I normally prefer a facing but in this case the binding works well with the shape of the neckline. 

I like cuffs for the sleeves and again these are nice and easy.

The fabric I used is wrong, too thick not enough drape but I shall still wear my linen version I'm happy enough with it.

It does need to be tucked in I think to be flattering as it swings out but in a fabric with more drape the "swing" would be less obvious.




There are 3 options, plain, pin tucked shoulders and a pocket.


I bought the pattern version which comes on tissue paper, you can buy as a PDF also which is cheaper.


My pattern pieces all cut out, you can see here the curve on the top of the sleeve should which I really like.


Excuse my looking confused is the camera working look, as you can see the neckline is pretty wide, but I think a nice height.  I could have cut a UK 12 but I wanted a loose fit for hot weather.  With no darts and fabric which is too thick the pattern has turn out really well I think.



The raglan sleeve line is not very obvious on a plain fabric but take care with bold patterns.


This seam goes down the middle on the sleeve and gives the shoulder a curved shape which I really like.


The bias bound neckline works really well.

I shall make another top with this pattern in a rayon/Viscose challis next up and report back on how it looks in that fabric.

Let me know if you have any questions !

Thanks  :-)









1 comment: